In accordance with City Ordinance, all dogs and cats that reside in the City of La Crosse must be licensed yearly by April 1. City Ordinance allows up to four (4) of any combination of dogs or cats per residence. Licenses are for the calendar year and expire on December 31st.
The City of La Crosse has partnered with PetData to deliver you more options in licensing your pet.
To license online, go to www.PetData.com, enter your zip code and click “online” under License Now, you can register multiple pets at the same time, and easily upload required documents. All major credit cards are accepted, and a small convenience fee will apply per transaction.
To license by mail, simply mail a copy of your pet’s current rabies certificate and any other applicable documentation, along with your check payable to “City of La Crosse Treasurer” to “City of La Crosse Animal Licensing, C/O PetData, PO Box 141929, Irving, TX 75014”.
Licenses can be purchased in person at the City Treasurer's Office or mail current Rabies Certificate and payment to:
400 La Crosse St
La Crosse, WI 54601
Pet License Fees
- Cat/Dog (Spayed/Neutered): $12.00
- Cat/Dog (Not-Spayed/Not-Neutered): $23.00
The Treasurer's office accepts cash, check or credit cards (fees will apply). For questions, please call 608-789-7528.
When do I need to purchase a license?
- Within 30 days of obtaining a cat or dog or within 30 days of establishing residency in the City of La Crosse.
- New puppy or kitten licensing must be done when the animal is 5 months old
- Once a cat or dog has been licensed in the City, they must be licensed on a yearly basis no later than April 1st (25.00 late fee per pet will be assessed after April 1st)
What do I need to purchase a license?
- Drivers License or valid I.D.
- Current Rabies Certificate
- Proof from Veterinarian that your pet is spayed or neutered (if Rabies Certificate does not reflect that)
Half Price Puppy/Kitten License
Owners are charged half the fee amount only if the puppy or kitten to be licensed reaches licensable age after July 1 of the license year.