Your household trash is picked up every week on the day indicated by the boundary lines on the Pickup Schedule. Cart(s) need to be placed out by 5 AM on your day of collection and should be returned to the storage location within 24-hrs of your collection day.
There is no collection on these holidays shown in red on the calendar:
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
All collections following these holidays will be a day late. If the holiday falls on a Saturday or a Sunday your collection day is NOT affected.
Acceptable Refuse & Placement Guidelines
- Household refuse should mostly consist of soiled materials that cannot be reused or recycled or food waste. Food waste is compostable, see our yard waste page for more information.
Placement of Carts
- Carts need to be within 1-ft of the alley/curb line with the arrows on the lid pointing in that direction.
- Carts need to be at least 3-ft from any fixed objects such as mailboxes, trees, streetlights, or parked vehicles, and with a 2-3 foot gap between carts.
- Place them at the end of your driveway if possible.
- If carts on boulevard are blocked in by cars, you may place carts in the street with the wheels against the curb, again with three (3) feet of clearance on either side.
- Position the cart on as level of a surface as possible.
- Lids need to be closed to a substantial degree.
Common Reasons for Missed Collection
*Call Harter’s Quick Clean-Up to report a miss. 608-782-2082*
- Cart is not properly placed.
- Cart is placed out after the designated collection time.
- Trash is outside of the cart.
- Overfilled-lids need to be closed to a substantial degree.
- Placed on a snow bank.
- Contains unacceptable items such as appliances, electronics, hazardous waste, etc.
Please Note: Large items are no longer city-serviced. For disposal options for large items or other unacceptable refuse, please see the other pages listed on the left side of the screen.
- Recyclable Materials
- Yard Waste
- Landscape Materials (rock, bricks, concrete, etc)
- Construction or Remodel Materials (siding, shingles, decking, carpet, etc)
- Hazardous Materials
- Vehicle Parts
- Large Items-items too large to fit into cart