Your household recycling is picked up every other week on the day indicated by the boundary lines on the pickup schedule (see drop-down to left). Cart(s) need to be placed out by 5 AM on your day of collection and should be returned to the storage location within 24-hrs of your collection day.
There is no collection on these holidays shown in red on the calendar:
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
All collections following these holidays will be a day late. If the holiday falls on a Saturday or a Sunday your collection day is NOT affected.
The City of La Crosse uses the ‘Single Stream’ recycling system. This means all recyclable items can be placed in the cart together. Do not bundle or separate items.
Plastics ♳♴♶♷ (must be labeled as such)
- Clamshells-including berry containers
- Blister packs
- Tubs, Bottles, Jugs and Detergent containers
Newspapers & Magazines, Pressed Paper, Office & White Paper, Cardboard
- Cereal/Cracker/Snack boxes (not the plastic inserts)
- Soda boxes, Beverage cartons, Paper towel rolls, Egg Cartons
- Toothpaste/Soap/Detergent boxes
- Mail, Receipts, and Envelopes-including those with windows
- Cards & Gift wrap (no tissue or foil wrapping paper)
- Corrugated cardboard
Wax Style Cartons-Food & Beverage
- Milk cartons (dairy, soy, almond), juice, soups, broth & wine cartons
Aluminum, Tin, Steel, and Copper Wire
- Aluminum, Tin, and Steel cans
- Empty aerosol cans, paint cans and lids
- Aluminum foil, plates, and containers
- Pots and Pans
- Christmas lights, Extension cords, Electrical wiring (no coaxial cable)
- Wire clothes hangers
Glass Jars & Bottles (any color)
DO NOT RECYCLE
- Plastics #3, 6 ,7
- Soiled materials such as paper plates & pizza boxes
- Packing peanuts or Bubble wrap
- Bottle or Jar lids unless marked as recyclable
- Shredded paper
- Plastic bags or wrap
- Ceramics & Dishware
- Windows & Mirrors
- Coaxial cable
All containers should be rinsed clean before placing in the cart.
Take off lids and if they aren’t marked with the recycling symbol and throw them away.
Bags, newspaper and office papers should be thrown loosely into the recycling cart; do not bundle.
Break down the cardboard and pressed paper materials to make more room in your recycling cart.
If it is yard waste, construction material, hazardous material, an appliance, electronics, or does not fall into the category of recyclable then please dispose of it in the proper manner.
Common Reasons for Missed Collection
- Cart is not placed correctly
- Trash is outside of the cart
- Cart is overfilled and lid is not substantially closed
- Cart is placed on a snow bank
- Contains unacceptable items such as yard waste, electronics, refuse, etc.