The La Crosse Police Department K-9 Unit is currently made up of three K-9 teams which include the handler and the canine.
Having a K-9 unit is a great tool for the La Crosse Police Department. Police K-9s are instrumental to law enforcement because they can:
- Track missing persons or criminals;
- Access physical spaces where it would be impossible or too dangerous for a human to maneuver;
- Increase the efficiency and effectiveness when utilized to complete detection duties in large or difficult searches;
- Provide the handler and other law enforcement with an added measure of protection;
- Deter criminals from committing crime in areas where a police canine is deployed, or at times of the day when the canine is working;
- Act as a tremendous public relations tool; and
- Provide demonstrations at grade schools, businesses, or community events.
For more information on K-9s, visit the following:
Sergeant Jon Wenger
K-9 Unit Supervisor
Officer Ron Secord
K-9 Handler, Grumman